This is the first known work for which Emily Carr used a photograph as a reference for a painting. The house had long since disappeared from Haida Gwaii when she painted this in 1912. It was owned by a Haida chief who received the name Captain Gold in honour of his discovery of gold on the islands. A number of Carr's major works, produced after 1927, were based on photographs.
On to Gitwangak
See more paintings of Pebble Town
See more photographs of Pebble Town